Wargame Warrior

Tabletop games with model soldiers.

Forums

Forum Home > Projects > Ottoman Turks 18th C.

Adam
Site Owner

Ottoman Wars Yahoo group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OTTOMANWARS/conversations/messages/3569

History of the War in Bosnia 1737-39 and other links

August 1, 2015 at 5:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner

Empire and Military Revolution in Eastern Europe, Google book:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RJcg5lNqjS8C&pg=PA187&dq=ottoman+suvari&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBmoVChMIx8y0lZLyxgIVpr1yCh34gAGy#v=onepage&q=ottoman%20suvari&f=false

August 1, 2015 at 8:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner

Ottoman Constructions of the Morea Rebellion, 1770s:

https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/67271/3/Gundogdu_Birol_201211_PhD_thesis.pdf

August 10, 2015 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner

Peter on the Pruth. Ottomans vs Russians 1711.

http://www.gdws.co.uk/peter-on-the-pruth-1711.html

September 7, 2015 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hanni
Administrator

Scary prospects for a campaign, Swedes, Poles, Russians, Ottomans, Austrians, Tartars and all the other eastern type troops - look really pretty and an opportunity to use some of those eastern rennaissance figures we all have lurking about (?). 

September 7, 2015 at 4:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner

I love that there's the opportunity to field an Ottoman Swedish allied force from this campaign!

September 8, 2015 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hanni
Administrator

Hasn't Nick got a bundle of Turks locked away somewhere ?

I've got some assorted eastern stuff somewhere (bundles of Muscovites in 15 !).

Some nice figures out there as well - TAG and Eureka are nice (Exchange rate means these are £1.34 for infantry and £2.72 for Cavalry at the moment), the old skool Essex, Dixon and Redoubt are OK as well and the usual suspects Foundry and Old Glory.

Have you seen the Italians Wars range by Eureka ? Quite a scary propect to paint I suspect..

September 9, 2015 at 6:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner

I saw the Eureka Gendarmes in the flesh and was very disappointed tbh. Not a patch on the Foundry ones. The Ottomans in the 18th C. Are a bit more enigmatic than earlier armies. Most figure ranges are based on 17th C or earlier troop types. There are some nice Napoleonic figures just arriving on the scene Brigade Miniatures and Matchlock Miniatures. Dixon and Old Glory have a few useful bits too. I may well cast up my own cavalry figures as I have a bunch of cheap but nice looking Warlord ECW plastic horses. Timariot cavalry, mercenaries and militia were all unarmoured during  the eighteenth century, so just separate heads and one arm will do for differentiation. Cannot wait until Barry gets around to Ottomans!

September 10, 2015 at 3:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hanni
Administrator

It's the Poles I want, just so we can do some proper GNW, Oh and some mounted dragoons :D

Surprised about the Eureka stuff, it's normally very good. I need to get a few generic late med/early Rennaissance infantry and light cavalry (Ginettes, X bows etc) so we can have a go at some Italian wars type stuff.

September 11, 2015 at 11:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner

For all that I have heard people say that the GNW Poles are the same as the 1680s Poles, I am not convinced. The Ottoman Turks changed over those years and I suspect so did the Husars. (Same influences and fighting style.)   Still an interesting army though, even if it is past its peak (more interesting in a way...)

By "generic" infantry do you mean easier to paint than bloody Landsknechts? :D

September 15, 2015 at 5:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hanni
Administrator

Not at all, I've got some of them anyway, and some Swiss, well Yes. :P

I was thinking more of the 'lighter' type stuff, the militia types (?), the X-bows and spearmen that loitered rather than fought, could be used pretty much anywhere and anywhen.

Anyway aren't the Landsknechts your little baby ? :|

From what I've read, the Poles had lost a fair amount of the armour and weapons (no longer having to choose the weapon of best effect must have helped somehow) as well as a certain amount of elan. They still looked good and I just like the idea of massed pretty cavalry in a period when infantry was becoming king.  There were fewer Hussars and more Pancerni, and  i suspect a lot more cossacky types floating around on the fringes.

With the increased interest in the GNW, I'm surprised no one has yet done in period Poles, I suspect that there would be a take up.  

September 16, 2015 at 4:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner

I will eventually get around to painting my Landskechts, I just need a run up :) I think the main thing that is holding back the "lesser" nations of the GNW from getting pretty figures is the lack of reliable information (in English at any rate.) And yes I would snap them up too!  Wars where you have a bit of a mismatch in fighting styles and troop types are always an interesting  subject  matter.

September 16, 2015 at 2:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner

Thinking about  how to cater to Turkish fighting style and tactics in Cartouche. I think I'll try giving the prper Ottoman cavalry  "Turkish scimitars" bonus of Up 2 versus disordered enemy. Seems overkill maybe but I think it will accurately represent the havoc these expert swordsman could cause when they broke into an enemy formation. The fear of this is what  caused the Western opponents of the Ottomans to concentrate on the importance of keeping very close formations and shooting away the enemy before they could get into contact. As a balancing factor the Ottoman cavalry will not get the initiating / charge bonus. Their style was more about multiple waves of horsemen not a massed charge.

July 14, 2017 at 1:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.